Thursday, October 10, 2013

Adventures in the World of Indie Publishing

Entering the indie book publishing world has been quite a ride, and the journey is not even close to over yet. Having complete creative control over the publication of my book is both a blessing and almost a curse. Almost. I get to decide exactly what I want on each page, but then again I have to decide exactly what goes on each page.

Don't get me wrong, it would be nice to be paid up front for a manuscript from a traditional publishing company, and believe me I'm working on that too. But making an initial investment into launching this book will be worth it (and potentially returned in future royalties). It is worth it to have a story so close to my heart be reflected on each page in just the way I imagined it would.

Today I approved all of the final artwork for the illustrations for this book. It is almost overwhelming to see this simple, true story come to life once again on pages after having lived it. And to tell a story, no matter how simple, will stir both emotion and thought.

Here is another indie author's reflection on self-publishing vs. traditional publishing:

Self-Publishing a Children's Picture Book: Sharing My Experience


No comments:

Post a Comment